Metal roofing has recently become a popular choice of many home owners. Metal roofs may be made of stainless steel, copper, zinc or aluminum. The initial cost can be more than traditional asphalt roofing but the benefits of a metal roof clearly outweighs the additional cost. The following are 5 benefits of metal roofs:
- It has aesthetic value. A metal roof comes in more colors than traditional asphalt shingles. There are also a variety of textures and styles. It is versatile and can spruce up an old farm house just as well as a contemporary urban home. A metal roof can give any home nice curb appeal.
- It is environmentally friendly. Metal roofing is made from recycled materials and requires less frequent repair or replacement. Also, because it is an energy conserver, metal roofs help reduce smog in urban areas. Currently, there are very few facilities that recycle asphalt shingles. Asphalt shingles are replaced frequently and most are disposed of in landfills and are slow to biodegrade.
- It has a long life expectancy. It is estimated that asphalt roofing lasts from 15 to 20 years. A metal roof however, can last 50 to 100 years. Warranties for metal roofs are typically 25-50 years. It is a good idea to ensure that the warranty is also transferable in the event you sell your home, which by the way, can be a great selling point.
- It is protective. A quality metal roof is fire resistant and can withstand hurricane strength winds, rain and hail. It can remain intact after being hit by falling and flying debris. It is not only rust resistant, but it will not crack, curl, warp or peel like asphalt roofing. These durable qualities may also reduce the cost on a homeowners insurance policy.
- It will lower the home’s energy bills. Having a metal roof will reduce the air conditioning and heating bills. It reflects solar energy heat away from the home in the summer and will trap heat inside in the winter. This can save up to 40% annually on utility bills.
A homeowner will appreciate the array of color choices from Metallic Copper to Deep Sea Blue. They will feel good that their decision was kinder to the environment. They will feel the confidence of having a roof that will last for a lifetime. They will also appreciate saving money each month on their utility bill. For homeowners who are looking for a roof that will offer durability, great looks, and energy savings, metal roofing is the way to go.