Owning your own home can be one of the greatest accomplishments of a person’s life, but there are times when that joy is overshadowed by worry and frustration. One of the more common occurrences that can cause such emotions is the need for home repairs, especially roofing repairs. Roof repairs tend to be very stressful due to the fact that a leaking roof can lead to additional damage inside the home, including areas such as flooring, walls and ceilings. The good news is that if you can catch a roof leak quickly enough, you can prevent the leak from causing further damage. Because of the amount of damage a roof leak can lead to, it’s important to know exactly what to look for when it comes to hiring a roofing contractor for repairs for roofing issues. Since finding the right person to repair your roof is so important, the following is a list of the top five things you will want to consider when making your choice for a roofing contractor to take care of your roofing repairs.
1. Get bids. Although you might need the repairs done as quickly as possible, you still want to take the time to get bids and estimates together. By doing this and letting the potential roofing contractors know that you’re looking at other options, you’ll be more likely to get a better quote for the work you need. A little healthy competition is to your benefit in this case.
2. Consider the people who will be working on your home. Out of necessity, you and your family will be spending time with these people. It’s important to make certain that you have a level of comfort in the roofing contractor’s presence. With the potential issues created by allowing strangers access to your home, you want to make certain that these works do not present any type of danger to your family. Don’t be afraid to do a background check of the people who will be working on your home.
3. Check the New Hampshire roofing contractor’s business history. Just because you have been quoted an excellent price doesn’t mean that the contractor will be the best for the job. Always do a little research and find out how long your roofing contractor has been in business, whether or not they are listed with the Better Business Bureau and, of course, if there has been any sort of dissatisfaction issues with prior clients.
4. Make certain that you have a contract. You want to have documentation of exactly what you and the contractor have agreed to. Issues such as the amount of work done, materials used, a warranty covering both the work and the materials used, the agreed upon price, the length of guarantee for the work done and, of course, the payment schedule all need to be outlined in a written contract to protect both the home owner and the contractor.
5. Have a clear payment schedule. It’s important to have a clear understanding of how and when the contractor will be paid. If a roofing contractor insists on being paid in full before the work is done, it’s usually not a good sign. A good rule of thumb is pay only 30%, or less, of the repairs up front and then to make periodic payments at certain phases of the roofing project, with the final payment due when the project is completed to your satisfaction. This type of agreement helps to insure that the job is completed and that it is done correctly.
While there are factors that can affect a decision, depending on the needs and wants of the individual homeowner, using these five tips as a guideline can help to assure that the homeowner receives the most economically priced repairs and that they are done correctly. It’s important to make have a guideline when it comes to hiring any contractor for repairs, but even more so when it comes to roofing issues. A lack of research can lead to more repairs and higher costs in the long run and it is a small cost for a very large investment. It can help keep your home in good repair and your family safe and happy for many years to come.
When you are ready to improve your home call the professional exterior contractors a FBI Contracting. FBI contracting is New Hampshire’s premier roofing contractor, siding contractor and window contractor servicing residential and commercial client throughout the state.